Friday, 7 May 2010

Nursery anxieties

After 2 weeks in nursery, I am beginning to get little worries about whether this nursery is the best for you. You do seem to be settling in but the carers seem to always be over enthusiastic about how good you were which makes it seem a little fake. They say you eat all your food ALL the time but yet when you come back you seem hungry and finish your dinner in 10 minutes. From your daily sheet, it seems like you always nap during meal times but they say they keep the food for you. When I brought it up, they say its better to allow the child to set the routine. They say there are organised activities of circle time or messy play but I have not seen any in the few days that I picked you up early.

What irritated me was finding a dummy next to you in the pushchair you were sleeping in a few days ago. Today, when I picked you up early after Richard arrived, I saw that dummy in your mouth while you were sleeping!! I was furious and when brought it up they insisted that it was left in the pushchair and you must have put it in yourself. You have also developed another flu just as I thought you were getting better. There's also evidence of some nappy rash.

Sigh.. Am I being over-protective? Am I being paranoid? Am I expecting too much from nursery? I wonder if these worries are normal? Are all nurseries like that? Do I have any other choice? I only want the best for you. IF only you can tell me what really goes on the whole day. The only thing that reassures me is that you always smile when I drop you and will smile when I pick you up. Again, maybe I have to just trust in God to take care of you.

3 comments:

DanLai said...

It is like that wan lah. With Little Z, we just trusted God to look after him at nursery. We still do.

We soon realised that he has learnt loads at nursery. Especially how quickly he became "independant" (to a certain extent). Up to the point where he insists on doing things himself.

Nursery is good as they quickly learn how to interact with other kids and basically how to survive.

It is always a good sign when they are happy when you drop them off in the morning, and happy when you pick them up (them = our little fellows)

Hope this helps. Call if you want to have a chat and if you are worried. (could you sms me your number? Little Z accidently deleted it...hehe)

-dan-

irene said...

aw.. ai wei... i tot your son don't use dummy? My son also don't use dummy until few days ago. I soon find that he keeps on sucking his fingers/ thumb that i don't want him to suck his fingers....

aiwei said...

Thanks Dan.. I suppose we will never stop being anxious and worrying ya? I keep telling myself in the long run, it will be good for him :)

Irene.. He refused it when I tried it few months ago. Not tried again since coz didn't see a need for it. What irritated me was not that he took it. It was the fact that it was not his and have no idea how clean it is or who it belonged to.