Sunday, 17 January 2010

How life has changed

The title sounds obvious.. Of course life changes with a baby. But, I just realised the extent of it now that I have adjusted to this lifestyle and taking stock of these changes. I wish I can put a table on this blog so that the before and after comparisons are more obvious :)

Lack of sleep is definitely NUMBER ONE. Apart from last night, I have never slept for more than 3 hours in a row. I have just got used to and learn to nap to catch up with lost sleep.

The house is now not as tidy.. and this is with a helper who comes and clean it once every 2 weeks. So it's no longer the Ikea showroom that it was before. Eventhough on maternity, there is no time at hand. Cooking has been restricted to about half an hour with VERY SIMPLE meals, but hopefully more nutritious than takeaways. Doing the laundry has also become a 'game' between Isaac and me so that I can spend more time with him, coz a lot of time is spent on breastfeeding and trying to put him to sleep. This sums up my day: Wake-up, feed, laundry, feed, eat, feed, play, feed, sleep, feed, cook, feed, bathe, feed, sleep, feed, sleep, feed......

I need adult conversations and thank God for the internet, Skype and MSN. I would probably only know how to babble otherwise. People I talk to are mostly all parents now and the topic is almost always about baby - habits, feeding, growth, development, etc..and best place to get baby offers of pampers, or wipes, no longer clothes or shoes.

If I do get out, rarely, preparations need to start about 2 hours ahead and handbags are out of the question. The 'pouch' has to fit Isaac's clothes, blanket, changing mat, nappies, toys, etc... I also hardly eat out and if we do, it needs to be baby friendly places with wide space to fit the buggy. The freezing weather has become a good excuse to stay at home :)

Finally, gone are dates or time alone with Richard, apart from the hour or so after putting you to sleep at night. It was funny how our most recent movie at home took us 3 days to finish because it was interrupted by tiredness and you waking up crying for a feed.

Life will NEVER be the same again, but it's all worth while when he smiles to greet me in the morning :)

3 comments:

iamamonkeysoareyou said...

Sorry for spamming your blog. Also realised that you may not know that Dan Lai = iamamonkeysoareyou.

Anyway, this post cos reminded me of what we went through when Z was that tiny.

Pak-thor with the wife = Zero, twice as long to get ready to go out. TV = non-existant = I now can't sit down for more than and hour. Cinema, last visit was 2.5 years ago.

So, don't worry. It does get better. Honest. Z put his hand round me the other day and said "I love you". Made my day that. :)

aiwei said...

Of course I know it's you Dan :) Wish you were going home for CNY then the boys can meet :)

This Mama Loves... said...

oh my! i remember those times!!! but like yr friend Dan says, it does get a lot easier. now i can just whiz Livvy off into the car and off we go! :)