Wednesday, 6 October 2010

First birthday party

We started planning your birthday party more than a month ago. We knew you won't appreciate the party but we wanted it to be memorable for us, and you, when you look back at photos in the future. It was also a reason to organise a party as a thanksgiving celebration :) We toyed with the idea of a function room in a restaurant, a hotel, or renting a penthouse. We settled for the hotel after visiting a few penthouses and realised that living room space in penthouses were not as big as we thought it to be. That aside, I am also glad we didn't rent a penthouse as the hotel took care of the food, deco, ambiance and cleaning-up, which would have been impossible for us to do with a child that needs constant attention.

It had to be the weekend after your birthday as that was the only day the hotel was available. With the venue sorted, the invitation card and cake had to be designed and guest list made up. If only all your grandparents could have made it. 'Sam yi' came up with the superb games idea - 'captionise your expressions'. Finally, there was the photo montage of you that needed to be arranged. Someone asked me if I was planning another wedding :) Isaac, you are this important!! Well, we also specifically went shopping the day before for your birthday suit. Thank God for sisters :) (Siau, wish you were here)


We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves on the day. I think you suspected something was up as both 'sam yi', 'sai yi' and Justin koko were here to play with you and we rushed you home from church so you could nap and have your lunch before the party. You were so excited when you saw so many people in the hotel and as usual interacted with everybody. When it was time for the 'Happy Birthday' song, you were a little shocked and stared at everybody. Although I tried teaching you to blow a candle a few days back, all you wanted to do was to grab the flame. It was hilarious. You especially loved the balloons and ate your birthday cake happily.




You left the hotel with one shoe, my 'Cinderella'. After your afternoon nap, we showed you your presents. Thank you everyone for your generosity!! There will be no more toy shopping for a long time, after we buy you your birthday present.


You were very excited by the gift 'sai yi' bought and was like a little mad pianist. You still do it now when I let you play with it. A little hidden talent maybe?



The next day, all the balloons lost their 'helium' and was flat on the floor. However, you were equally tickled by them and could not stop laughing.



I remember being totally exhausted that night as the party sapped more energy than I expected. Having a party with kids is so different and I learnt lots. I am so grateful to all who came and for the support we had over the past year. We should probably make the effort to meet up more often. Will there be another party next year? We'll see.

5 comments:

siauwei said...

Isaac looks so cute in all the photos!! can't believe he's grown so much since I last saw him!! I still owe him a birthday present :)

On a seperate note, jia looks so grown up too!! hahaha...

Anonymous said...

Love the last video. His laugther is so cute and put a smile on my face too.

aiwei said...

Thanks Daisy :)

This Mama Loves... said...

Such a well-planned party!! Still wish we were there! Isaac is such a happy baby! Which baby wouldn't be happy with such happy parents! Hope to see you soon!

Stephen and Joann said...

Isaac's got such a great laugh! He made me laugh too hahaha :D The Lord bless you to the overflowing, Isaac, as you grow each day in Him!