Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Career mother?

The challenge of which comes first: family or career, is really put to the test when a child is sick. I always quote 'family comes first'. But, when something has been pre-organised at work, and no one can take my place, and then you're not very well, what should I do?

It should be easy if I stick to the rule of 'family comes first'. But in reality, is it that easy to call and say 'sorry, my son is sick and I can't come in?' Even if I could, how many times can I do that? Are work colleagues that sympathetic? All these questions constantly swirl in my mind as I prepare to go back to clinical work. It becomes reality as today I had to send you in as I could not cancel the appointment already made at work, but had to bring you back early as I got called twice about your fever. What should I do tomorrow? I also have another work commitment.

No comments: