Sunday, 31 July 2011

Crying 'wolf'

I've not formally or whole-heartedly tried to potty train you yet, but have been telling you what 'poo-poo' and 'wee-wee' are, which you understand. We have actually been quite successful with 'poo-poo', as we have not needed to clean dirty nappies much anymore, but is nowhere near the 'wee-wee' yet.

Unfortunately, you have also learnt that when you say 'poo-poo', you get my immediate attention, which you take advantage of. For example, one morning, I tried to get a few more minutes of sleep and asked you to play with your cars. After a while, you said 'mummy, poo-poo', and of course I got up to get you on the 'throne'. But, after a short while (and no poo), you cheekily said 'no more poo-poo, finished' and then wanted to get off.

However, you took it to another level over the weekend by saying 'mummy, poo-poo' 3 times while eating in a restaurant. After being 'cheated' twice (to toilet, undressed, sat a while, then wanting to get off), I was quite irritated, as knew you 'abused' this command to wander around. So, with the 3rd 'mummy, poo-poo', we ignored and distracted you. Then when home and during your bath, this happened:

You: Mummy, poo-poo
Me: Again? Isaac, don't bluff, finish bathing first..
Sam-yi: NNNOOOOOOooooo!!! (within seconds)

Yes, you 'pooed' into your bath water!!! A lot of it in seconds.. Ming and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, it was hilarious. How in the world am I to toilet train you? How do I know when it is real, and when it is an excuse to get attention? Thankfully you don't 'abuse' it very often.



2 comments: